Search This Blog

DIY Bread vs Commercial Bread

These little 3/4 cup or 100 gram flour boule loafs I bake inside a ceramic coated steel dutch oven at 260 C or 500 F for 18-30 min are not exactly the kind of bread someone going to make a sandwich with, but it can be done. 

I slice them into little cross sections & apply peanut butter & a dash of honey & it's absolutely delicious.

I eat a little of this DIY bread nearly every day and have a perfectly normal BMI, am fit, not overweight or fat & do not eat a ton of food in general, since food serving sizes have a huge effect on the net calorie intake load. I am almost 40 years old & do not burn food calories nearly as well as I did when I was in my 20's, so thinking of food as medicine, I try not to overdo it, and when I do eat too much at once I get a lot of gas & indigestion & feel very tired & sick for the rest of the day & my blood glucose level tends to climb over 140 for a few hours which makes me extra drowsy & even overwhelm the metformin I take to keep my blood sugar normalized. 

Carbs are all about the dose. If you get most of your daily carbs from veggies with fiber, even fresh fruit & berries, or a little bread, and you get some protein & fat from other foods, then a balanced diet without excess nutrition not going to cause weight gain or obesity. It's only when people eat excessively large servings of food that the extra resulting blood glucose converted to body fat. Blood sugar rising from excess food is stored as extra body fat. The human body has a very hard time converting dietary fats or proteins into body fats, and the metabolic pathways to make fat from proteins or lipids in the diet are long & calorie intensive, in that it takes a lot of body energy to convert dietary fats or proteins into glycogen & then body fat. 

Making a bread dough that your rise 3x so different than common commercial bread in America, that while both are sources of starchy carbohydrates, the home made dutch oven boule has more protein & fiber per unit than common commercial pre sliced bread in a plastic bag that stable on a shelf for months. 

Lets examine the dough composition & process a bit

Fine ground bread flour the basis of my boule experimental boules, where I tune 1 variable a little with each new loaf to see what it does. The flour made of ground wheat & malted barely, not just wheat flour. The malted barley contributes a lot of added nutrition. As the yeast breaks down sugars, releasing amino acids & thousands of other flavor compounds, including ethanol & co2 which modify the fermenting wet dough rising with gas bubbles of CO2 that form carbonic acid in the water & ethanol which as an alcohol has a range of chemical reactions.

Nothing living remains in the finished bread as any microbes are denatured by the high temperatures achieved that give rise to that dark toasty flavorful delicious crust. As the boule loaf removed from the searing hot dutch oven on the parchment paper it cooked on, it continues to cook as it cools, since the surface temperature much higher than the boiling point of water, such that any microbial components are completely thermally denatured or killed, though their cell components that survive the heat do contribute to the taste & nutritional profile of the resulting bread. 

Going through the air kneading process 3x or more by stretching & folding the dough ribbon resulting onto its self, then rotating that folded dough mass 90 deg & stretching it into a ribbon again that you fold onto itself & then repeating this for 12 total cycles, after which you flour the bowl its rising, kneading the dough into a little ball & letting it rest in the floured bowl for an hour or so, covering the bowl with a wet towel to keep the dough from drying out. Doing this 3 more times, means the yeast population continues to increase as starches are broken down into simple sugars to feed the dividing yeast cells. The initial sugar, honey & molasses I add are to fuel the early yeast cell population growth for enhanced rising at first & especially by the 3rd or later rises. 

Each one of these added rise cycles improves the taste & nutritional profile of the final bread, doing so also makes the bread taste a lot better. I add a 0.4 g pinch of toast to the dough ball at the start of each rise & that tends to make the final bread taste a lot better. I also tend to pour 50 grams of olive oil over the dough ball during the final rise, then after rising it, knead the oil into the dough & then transfer the oily dough ball to the parchment paper as the dutch oven & oven are heating up, letting the dough ball rise in the parchment paper so that its risen & bubbly without breaking any of the gas bubbles gently lifting the dough in the parchment paper into the hot dutch oven & covering that with the lid so that any steam released by the dough is trapped inside the dutch oven to steam bake which makes a darker crustier crust with more flavor & aroma. 

Just the labor & time required to make the little hobby boule enough to burn a lot of the energy you get in calories from eating part of it. I split my loaf's with Meg & even she noted that this bread does not spike her blood glucose levels like other commercial carbohydrates rich processed food stuffs. She has a fancy dex-com G6 CGM system to help track her blood glucose so she can monitor it to help with dosing insulin correctly to not over or under shoot the right insulin dose, since she has had type 1 diabetes since she was 7 years old. I became Type 2 diabetic or pre-diabetic from aggressively & excessively consuming caramels for years. 

With few exceptions, I no longer eat candy, no longer drink alcohol, no longer use cannabis, I basically gave up unhealthy lifestyle choices in order to feel better & it generally worked, though I am sick with a cold virus that I believe I got from the children on one of my school bus routes, thankfully spring break starts tomorrow so I will have time to rest & recover more. I actually just woke up from a long nap after my morning route & feel a lot better after the added sleep. Sleeping extra while you're sick helps your immune system cope with the viral pathogen better, so you get better faster. Drink lots of water & go to bed earlier & take naps as needed. 

Baking a time consuming healthy hobby that works great on cold winter days since the oven heated to 500F gives out a lot of indoor waste heat the makes our apartment warm up a bit when I bake the little boule around dinner time since it took all day to let the little dough ball rise repeatedly :) I start the wet mix with yeast around 5am before leaving for my early morning bus route :)

I want to take a moment to Thank God for my life, my wife, my bread, my oven, other people, earth, nature, redemption, healing, restoration, repair. I was a wrecked sinner before finding faith in God, filled with anxiety, fear, guilt, self hatred & judgement for others doing foolish stuff I do not agree with, including morbidly obese people who waddle around goofy, but I actually feel sad for them, since they must be confused about food dosing, a major problem in America, which combined with a sedentary lifestyle caused metabolic syndrome diseases & disorders. People like to demonize alcohol & tobacco companies for causing public health problems, or gun manufacturers, but no one forces other people to smoke or drink, no one causes others to eat what they do not want to put in their mouths, the guns cannot load themselves or aim without a human operating free will & agency. So how about personal accountability, maybe a lot of the problems we see in the world because some people are not using their freedom wisely. 

Perhaps some people are not fit to be parents or children or pets. Some people are not fit to drive a car. Not everyone is fit to do everything possible & some people are better at some things than other people, just like every day is different. Sniffle, cough, I hope you understand what I am saying, most of the problems in the world are human problems with individual people making bad choices as the basis of these issues that remain unresolved year after year as talking head politicians give lips service while actually serving the plutocrat billionaires who bribed them into office by financial the political campaigns to become elected in the first place. I am thinking of the 1051 lobbyists that belong to Amazon.com or Jeff Bezos for example :) 

I owe must of what I have & most of what I own to other people, especially God! Thank you father God for those people & for your sublime unmatchable excellence beyond all comparison, praise be to your Holy Name & Thank you Jesus & Thank you Holy Spirit! Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment