Search This Blog

Sewing As a Man / A Healthy Hobby

Cultural norms for much of history made sewing the domain of women working inside the home while men pursued other industrial arts, though the textiles industry an industrial behemoth & mass produced fashion products are one of the leading sourcing of plastic pollution worldwide. I am getting into sewing as a man, as a hobby :) 


Many common fabrics made of rayon, poly, nylon, polypropylene, PET, polymers & plastic fibers that make thread, yard, fabric, many felts, fleece, fabrics & common threads of made of plastic fibers that are made of beads of petrochemical plastic beads heated & extruded & then hot pulled into fibers that are weaved or spun into threads on industrial equipment bigger than common single family house in America. Textiles include carpet, a huge source of plastic pollution worldwide.

Emergent novel & innovative trends in textiles including smart fabrics enable the use of health monitoring electronics that are self powered by the wearers movements, body heat & the fabric bending & conforming to the users body. Micro-led & single pixel sensors on wire, like the LED chip on wire technology used in many common Edison style LED bulbs, these smart threads are going to be integrated into garments to provide active body heating for use in cold climates, in heated motorcycle riding gear, to enable portable electronic charging of smartphones or smart watches with QI chargers built into the pockets of smart jacket that also have flexible solar PV fabrics on the exterior. Gore-tex may have been the original breathable waterproof fabric, but nano-materials from advanced ceramics to intermetallics are being 3D printer style integrated into common textile fiber material polymers, to give smart features to emerging smart clothing, smart underwear, smart bathing suits, smart suits, smart harts, smart gloves, hepatic feedback, blood pressure monitoring, heart rate, pulse, skin temperatures, skin salt analysis, movement analysis, forming a wearable mesh network with the smartphone in the pocket & the wearers smartwatch or smart-ring jewelry. We have information jewelry & smart fabrics emerging. 

An eco-friendly trend to plant based renewable fibers like kenaf, bamboo, banana leaf, GMO yeast silk, hydrophobic cotton, nano-pore fabrics, gold plated fiber IR reflectors to take body heat & reflect it back at the wearers body. Active climate controlled jackets with heating & cooling are emerging. More chips into more products that people use daily. Smartpens, smart-socks, smart shoes, its called a smart product if it has bluetooth & wifi & an associated smartphone app that works on Apple or Android devices. 

My interest in sewing was born in 1990 when my grandmother Lena taught me how to use her Pfaff sewing machine. At 39, now, I purchased a Singer 4452 & started fixing a fraying old ditch wash cloth last night as my first project. Meg gave me a small spool of blue thread, I used the machine to wind the bobbin & then loaded the bobbin & threaded the needle using the integrated needle threader that made it fast & easy. The integrated LED light a real plus too. The variable pedal goes as slow or as fast as I want & give precise control while able to rip along as a fast clip to make project completion faster. I am super excited to give into such a deep hobby ;) Mostly to fix & tailor clothing to make old garments last longer, I am also very interested in cloning some of my "out of production clothes" making custom tailored clothing, making clothing repairs, making new clothes from fabric scraps, there are seemingly endless possibilitie4s with sewing. 

This article helped me think about this contextually. Have a look! https://so-sew-easy.com/for-men-who-love-to-sew/ / the beautiful young woman who wrote it a source of inspiration for me. I love beautiful human female bodies, female orgasms, female clothing, I find it all so inspiring. Everyone came from the inside of a woman, starting as single new cell as their fathers sperm fused with their mothers egg, that attaches like a parasite to the wall of the mothers uterus & then attachers to her blood supply like a cancer tumor that grows into a beautiful fetus, a new human person with unique DNA combination & unique epigenetic analog information that strongly affects how that person develops throughout life, possibly sexually producing with someone else to repeat the cycle. 

I am government trained assassin who EDC carries a 9mm polymer hybrid Glock for self protection & so I can protect people near me at all times. I keeps many knives around me. I keep an aluminum bat in my car. I am ready to end fights & never start any! I will stop crime & call 911 so the police can sort out the details. I have national security clearance & a spotless record, defense lawyer on retainer, ready to rock & roll with a pen or pencil, I am a protector of life & ready to kill the enemy or bad guy out hold them until law enforcement can show to to arrest. I am a victor, winner, sinner, who is learning to love myself & other people more. I am a manly man, intelligent, strong, athletic, educated, smart, and always ready to learn something new from anyone. 

I believe I can produce complex exceptional clothing from fabric, thread, tape, yarn, fibers, & all sorts of other materials. I am very interested in metal fabrics, ceramic fabrics, nano-material fabrics, smart fabrics, conductive fabrics,  building antenna into the fabrics, putting electronics into leather messenger bags, building the RF block into the wallet, canvas, vintage leather, all sorts of fabrics, especially aramid kevlar & similar carbon-fibers & graphene fibers. I see lots of emerging ultra-high-molecular weight strong polymer threads & fabrics & potential to make exceptional motorcycle protective gear with airbags & armor made with epoxy hardened fabrics layered. I am into glue & adhesive, electroplating, coatings, paint, DIY, fabricating, making, a hobby king & have been looking forward to sewing clothing & soft goods as a hobby for years & so has Meg my lovely wife, so our new Singer hits a warm fuzzy spot for us both :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment